KOTOR CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL
Kotor's Catholic Cathedral is dedicated to St. Tryphon, the patron saint of the City. His relics were brought to Kotor around the year 809 from the site of his martyrdom in Asia Minor. A church was built to house the relics, and this eventually metamorphosed into a Cathedral which was consecrated in 1166. During the 16th Century much of this early Cathedral was destroyed in earthquakes, so a large rebuild began around 1583 which was largely completed in 1613.
The earthquake which so damaged Dubrovnik in 1667 also destroyed a good deal of this version of the Cathedral and a further rebuild was undertaken in the 18th Century, leaving us with the Cathedral much as we see it today.
When glimpsed through the narrow alleyways of Kotor City the Cathedral of St. Tryphon is without a doubt one of the most arresting sights in Montenegro.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Roy Barton and Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller