The small Augustinian Priory at Latton seems to have been founded around 1200 and is first mentioned in records in 1244. It doesn’t appear to ever have been a particularly large cell and by the time it was officially dissolved in 1534 the last prior had long since left.
The land was then granted to Sir Henry Park who conveyed them to William Morris in 1541. The Priory, by now being used as farm buildings, passed through a number of owners to the present day.
In 1616 the Priory was still largely recognisable but by 1720 the ‘old house’ was down and a ‘mean farmhouse’ stood in its place. The church was used as a barn and it is this that is still recognisable in the farm buildings today.Today the Priory buildings are fully incorporated into farm buildings which are passed close by by a public footpath. It now stands cut off from
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller