ST. LAWRENCE IN THE SQUARE
with ST. SWITHUN-UPON-KINGSGATE
The Kings Gate, as its name suggests, is one of the ancient gates into Winchester City Centre. It is not unusual for these gates to have had churches set atop them, but very few have survived.
The first mention of St Swithuns Church is in 1264 when it was burnt to ashes so it certainly existed before then. It was subsequently rebuilt and although tinkered with over the centuries has not been altered that much as its cramped position does not allow much variation on the original.
It is featured in Anthony Trollopes novel The Warden but is renamed as St. Cuthberts.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller