This large church, dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, dominates the tiny village in which it stands. Incredibly, the church is actually smaller than it was before 1859.
The oldest surviving parts of the church date to around 1190. It is possible that the church was founded around the same time as Laxton Castle, which now only exists as a motte and bailey on rising ground close by.
It is possible to see the early Romanesque structures beneath the later Gothic embellishments, but the overall impression of the church is one of Early English, typical parish church style.
In 1859 when the church was renovated it was shortened in length, at the same time the tower was removed and replaced with the current one. A photograph of the original church is on display inside.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller