The first request for a chapel of ease at Leytonstone was in 1748 the journey to the parish church in Leyton was an onerous one, and in bad weather often impossible. Work on a small chapel was completed in 1749 but the vicar would not hold services there and it fell to a layman to hold the services. This meant that in October 1749 the chapel was closed and services did not resume until 1754 when a vicar was finally persuaded to preach at the chapel.
By 1818 discussions were underway to turn the chapel into a church, a year later work began and in 1820 the Chapel was reopened. This was still much too small for the expanding village and so, in 1832, the first stone was laid on what would become St. Johns Church. It was opened in 1833 and the parish was eventually set up in 1845.
The church is slightly neglected today, amidst the new developments at Leytonstone, but is attractive in a rather plain way.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller