There was a church here at the time of the Domesday Book. Nothing of this early church survives, the earliest portion standing today is the tower which dates to around 1180.
The church was enlarged greatly in the 13th Century and then the roof level was raised in the 15th. Throughout the 19th Century further work was considered, a vestry was added in 1823 and a new aisle constructed in 1851. In the 1870s the church was swept up in the Victorian passion for church renovations (although for once Sir George Gilbert Scott was not involved) and a vast amount of work was undertaken. Small additions were made, mostly to the exterior, throughout the 20th Century and then in 2000 the Millennium room was added to the north side of the church.
Two notable graves outside and perhaps the most famous features of Limpsfield Church are those of Sir Thomas Beecham (who was reburied here in 1991) and Frederick Delius. Other eminent musicians buried here are the pianist Eileen Joyce and cellist Beatrice Harrison.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller