ST. SWITHIN'S CHURCH
In Lincoln, everything stands in the shadow of the Cathedral, and St. Swithin’s Church is no exception. One of the landmark churches of the lower town, it is actually a Victorian rebuild of an earlier church.
The medieval St. Swithin’s stood close to where the current church stands but as partially destroyed by fire during the English Civil War. It remained in this state for 150 years or so until it was rebuilt in 1801.
This church was then replaced by the current church the foundation stone of which was laid by the Bishop of Lincoln in 1869. The church was designed by James Fowler of Louth and financed by local industrialist Alfred Shuttleworth. The bulk of the church was completed in 1879 with the tower and spire added between 1884 and 1887.
A Roman altar was uncovered during the renovations and is now on display inside the church.
In any other city St. Swithin’s would be one of the dominating structures, but in Lincoln it is dwarfed by the Cathedral and just becomes part of that ever-impressive Lincoln skyline.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller