METROPOLITAN CATHEDRAL OF CHRIST THE KING, LIVERPOOL
Full dedication: Metropolitan Church of Christ the King
Became a Cathedral in 1967
At the opposite end of Hope Street from Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral stands the Catholic Cathedral.
The original design by Sir Edwin Lutyens was started in 1933 but was abandoned after only the crypt had been built. It was to have been bigger even than the Anglican Cathedral. In the end Sir Frederick Gibberd, a Protestant, won a competition with his radical design for the present Cathedral. Thus the Anglican Cathedral was designed by a Catholic, and the Catholic one by an Anglican!
The Cathedral is circular around a central altar with a steel and glass 'lantern' in it's centre and a concrete superstructure. Sadly the building materials were not applied very well and the Cathedral is now in a constant state of collapse and repair.
The familiar tent shape has earned it the nickname "Paddy's Wigwam".
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller