LITTLE STUKELEY CHURCH
The earliest mention of Little Stukeley Church is in the Domesday Book of 1086. This was probably a largely wooden church that was rebuilt in the 12th Century by Henry of Huntingdon. Parts of Henry’s church still survive to today, mostly in the nave and aisles.
The west tower was built in the 13th Century but oddly uses largely 12th Century stonework which implies the tower was rebuilt rather than newly added. The last major enlargement was early in the 14th Century when the chancel was enlarged and north chapel added.
Unusually work seems to have continued at Little Stukeley through the 16th and 17th Century when many churches were left to their own devices and because of this the inevitable Victorian restoration seems to have been fairly minimal.
Combine a visit with nearby Great Stukeley which was much more heavily restored by the Victorians.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller