ST. LUKE'S CHURCH, KOTOR
St. Luke's Church is the oldest in Kotor and functioned as the Orthodox Cathedral until the construction of the later one (in the background of this photo).
It was founded, according to an inscription on the facade by Mavro Cazafrangi and his wife Bona in 1195. It was originally a Catholic Church (the Cazafrangi's being of Italian origin).
In 1511 the church became a Nunnery for the Nuns of Our Lady of Angels.
In the middle of the 17th Century the Church was given to the Orthodox population of Kotor, although a Catholic altar remained inside the Church until 1812.
Much of the Church which we see today is either 15th Century or 18th Century when it was enlarged slightly. Some superb frescoes and works of art survive inside the Church, including one wall fresco dating to the 1200s.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Roy Barton and Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller