A wooden church was built in this secluded Devon valley around 650 AD, it survived until 997 AD when it was burnt to the ground by Vikings.
The parish is dedicated to St Petrock, a Celtic saint more commonly found in Cornwall. Although the church is largely Norman in its foundation probably contemporaneous with the nearby Castles there are elements of Saxon construction in the building suggesting a very early start.
By the 13th Century (when the second Castle was constructed) the church needed to be extended and the tower completed the structure in the mid-15th Century. The church remained relatively unchanged then until 1890 when the church was enlarged once more, adding the vestry and a second aisle.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller