This handsome church stands in the small New Forest town of Lymington. The nautical influence is clear in it's tower which has a very naval cupola crowning it.
The Church is dedicated to St Thomas of Canterbury which gives us a fairly accurate period for its foundation. Nothing much from that early period survives, but the north chapel dates to the end of the 13th Century and is the earliest fragment left at the church.
The tower dates to 1670 and repairs were undertaken in 1682. Major rebuilds including almost all of the nave and aisles took place in 1756 and 1792.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller