ST. MAGNUS THE MARTYR
City of London
This church was designed by Wren to be seen as you approached over the old London Bridge before the new one was built in 1831. The new bridge is slightly to one side of the old and so the view is now skewed. The skewing matters little as Adelaide House now obscures much of St. Magnus tower from view.
A fire damaged the church and much of the surrounding buildings in 1760.
The exterior is quite highly decorated for a Wren church and it may well be that some of these curlicues were added by Martin Travers who restored the Church in what Betjeman calls Anglo-Catholic Congress style which is a rather more elaborate style than most City churches are decorated in. At the same time Travers installed a large amount of stained glass which further enhances the feeling of a Catholic rather than a Protestant institution.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller