Only a very small foundation, this Cistercian Nunnery dates to 1249 and was founded by Isabel, Countess of Arundel. It never really grew much beyond half a dozen inhabitants but even then it was known as a place of poor reputation and at the time of the Dissolution in 1536 the whole place was already in a state of some chaos. This was one of the easiest victims of the Dissolution as, even had Wolsey not singled it out for its small size, it would almost certainly have been closed due to its altogether un-Nun-like practices!
Today only a few bits of wall, one containing two round windows, still survive. It is on private land, but is visible from the road.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller