The Church in Marlborough dates to around 1100, but of this early structure nothing has survived to the present day. It was rebuilt entirely around 1460 and everything was thoroughly renovated in the 1860s.
The Church of 1460 was essentially the same one which saw the ordination of Thomas Wolsey as a priest in 1498.
By 1859 the building was in a sorry state, particularly inside, and plans were drawn up by Thomas Henry Wyatt to restore it. The roof was raised, although the original is kept inside, creating a kind of double roof but saving the 15th Century work. The west end of the Church was heavily altered and a new window added. The chancel and sanctuary are paved with tiles made by the Minton company.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony
Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller