ALL SAINTS' CHURCH
Marlow started out life as a Saxon market town. It seems that a church existed on this site near the River Thames for centuries, records mention 1070. However, Marlow remained a small and fairly insignificant place until the 18th Century when its proximity to London made it a fashionable place to live.
As the town grew so it needed a larger church and the existing building, which had a tendency to flood regularly, began to be considered for an upgrade. In 1831 the spire of the existing church fell in and the decision was made to rebuild from scratch.
The old church was demolished in 1832 by 1835 the new church with its 170 foot spire had been completed and Marlow now had one of its most distinctive structures.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller