Properly called Fredericks Church, but more popularly known as Marmorkirken (The Marble Church) this domed construction was designed by Nicolai Eigtved in 1740 as part of his rebuilding of this entire area of Copenhagen. The area, known as Frederiksstaden, was designed to commemorate the 300th Anniversary of the Coronation of the first Oldenburg monarch.
The dome of the Marmorkirken is the largest in Scandinavia and clearly is influenced by St. Peters in the Vatican.
Work began in 1749 but progress was terribly slow. Eigtved died in 1754 and in 1770 it was decided to stop work. For almost 150 years the church stood as a roofless ruin. It wasnt finally completed until 1894.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller