This massive stripey building dominates the Port entrance of Marseille. A cathedral has existed here since around the 5th Century, and some remains survive of an earlier late medieval building. However, the Cathedral that we see today dates to 1852 when the architects Léon Vaudoyer and Henri-Jacques Espérendieu designed it in the then popular Byzantine style.
The Cathedral was completed by 1896 and was raised to the seat of an Archbishop in 1948.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller