ST. MARTIN'S, LUDGATE
City of London
St. Martins is designed very much with the view beyond it to St. Pauls Cathedral in mind. It was one of Wrens final churches in the City, dating to 1677-1687 and by that time the shape of the streets and buildings was becoming clear. So it is that as St. Pauls emerges from behind the bend of Ludgate Hill so St Martin, previously dominant, seems to move aside to allow the view of the Dome to be clear. It is one of the few pieces of Wrens intricate view planning that has survived.
The exterior of the church is actually designed to be seen from the side and as such the decoration on the tower appears to be put on the side instead of the front. The interior is quite dark, particularly as the Victorians added some dark stained glass and the light can only enter the church from the frontage along Ludgate Hill.
Unusually, Wren incorporated part of the Old City Wall into the west wall of the Church, something very unusual for his day.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller