MDINA CATHEDRAL

Malta

Mdina Cathedral, Malta

In the Book of Acts, St. Paul and his missionaries were shipwrecked on Malta for some three months. Paul converted the governor of the island, Publius, to Christianity and St. Paul’s Cathedral in Mdina is said to stand on the site of Publius’ house.

It would seem likely that an early Cathedral would have been built here before even the Norman one which was in turn destroyed in an earthquake in 1693. The architect Lorenzo Gafa was brought in in 1697 to design a new Cathedral which was eventually completed in 1702.

A number of houses in the centre of Mdina were cleared at that time to create the plaza in front of the Cathedral which is one of the few open spaces inside the City Walls.

The Cathedral, with its red and white striped dome, is one of the focal points in the City and is useful as a navigation point in the sinuous streets of Malta’s most attractive town.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Jacqui Harris, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2010


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery