There has been a place of worship here since approximately the 7th Century. An early Norman chapel was replaced by a church in 1152. This was in turn rebuilt in its present form, mostly in the 13th Century.
A good deal of the money for rebuilding the church came from the local Argentine family who owned the land here. They had a private chapel in the church and were great beneficiaries of the building over the centuries.
There seems to have been only minimal Victorian tinkering with the church and today it is one of the most satisfyingly attractive churches in an area which has many that fit that description.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller