ST. MICHAEL, CORNHILL
City of London
One of the more adulterated Wren churches it was built as a simple, classical church around 1669 with a small tower and rather stark interiors. Hawksmoor added the tower between 1718 and 1724 in a very Gothic style which was somewhat at odds with Wrens work.
This amalgam was then ceased upon by the inveterate church restorer Sir George Gilbert Scott who imposed upon it perhaps slightly inspired by Hawksmoors Gothic addition a typically Victorian take on what Gothic architecture should be. Although the exterior is largely untouched, inside is a riot of Victoriana with as many surfaces as possible adorned with decoration. In more recent years the trend has been to de-Victorianise the church, but the work was so all pervading that it remains a peculiar mix of Classical, neo-Gothic and Victorian.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller