The Church, often called the “Cathedral of the Marshes” was founded around 670 AD, connected to nearby Minster Abbey, although from the very beginning St. Mary’s was also parish church. The first church would have been wooden.
The oldest parts of this church still surviving
date to the
early 11th Century, the nave has been in its present form
around 1150. Roman bricks survive in the walls and tower which seem to
come from a nearby villa, the
In medieval days the sea would have come right up to the churchyard and the tower probably doubled as a watchtower.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller