ST. PIERRE DE MONTMARTRE, PARIS
Tradition states this church was founded by Saint Denis in the 3rd Century AD. It was certainly built by the 9th Century when it was an important stopping place on the pilgrimage route to the Saint Denis Basilica.
Louis VI purchased it in 1133 to establish a Benedictine Abbey and it was reconsecrated as such in 1147. In the 1680s the Benedictines moved down the hill to a new site closer to the centre of Paris.
The church was destroyed entirely during the French Revolution and a semaphore tower was erected where it once stood. In the 19th Century the new church was built here.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller