LONDON CENTRAL MOSQUE
The great golden dome of the London Central Mosque dominates the Baker Street end of Regent's Park.
The land was granted as an unconditional gift by the Government to the Muslim Community and the site was officially handed over in 1944 by King George VI. The Second World War held up development of the site for some time, but eventually the Mosque was constructed. Work commenced in 1974 and was completed in 1977, consisting of two large prayer halls (male and female), a library and administrative buildings.
The Islamic Cultural Centre opened here in 1994 and the site has become a centre for London's Muslim Community, fulfilling it's intended role superbly. As many as 6000 people can come to prayer in the Mosque at any one time, making it one of Britain's largest religious buildings (capacity-wise). During Eid up to 50,000 people visit the Mosque on some days - an incredible figure.
The Golden Dome and minaret are a welcome addition to the London skyline and are an invaluable addition to London's multi-culturality.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller