MELTON MOWBRAY CHURCH
The Church of St. Mary in Melton Mowbray is the largest parish church in Leicestershire with proportions that suggest it may once have been intended to be a Cathedral for the county (Leicester Cathedral not becoming such until 1927).
The tower is 100 feet tall and dominates the small town, all is faced with the lovely yellow stone of the area making the church extremely attractive.
The earliest church here was from the Saxon period, and the tower has Norman period windows from around 1170. The majority of the structure is from the 13th-15th Centuries – the grand period of English church building. The church is one of only five in the country with an aisled transept – a feature usually reserved for Cathedrals.
Melton also, unusually, has a working carillon which is played three times a day and was restored in 1938 from a bequest by Alice Henton at which time a new clock was installed, replacing a 13th Century one.Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller