The Cathedral Church of Our Dear Lady, usually called the Frauenkirche, is the Cathedral for Munich. It is also one of the most distinctive structures in Munich and is considered to be one of the symbols of the City.
A church stood here in the 12th Century but Duke Sigismund employed architect Jörg von Halsbach to design a new church. Work was begun in 1468. Twenty years later the towers which are the Cathedrals most famous feature were completed, although they were just towers at this point. The church was consecrated in 1494.
The domes which top the towers were added in 1525 and are intended to mimic the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. They are very unusual and make the Frauenkirche one of Germanys most recognisable churches.
There was considerable damage to the Cathedral in World War II, the roof collapsed in and one of the towers was badly damaged. Restoration began after the war and was only finally completed in 1994.
An odd legend associated with the church is that of the Teufelstritt or Devils Footstep in the entrance way a black hoof shaped mark with a small hooked tail at its heel. The legend states that the Devil made a deal with the builder of the church that there should be no windows. However, the builder cleverly positioned the windows so that they were hidden by columns when standing in the entrance. When the Devil discovered he had been tricked he stamped his foot in anger and left the imprint which stands just inside the entrance today.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
Jacqui Harris, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller