NEWARK PARISH CHURCH
The oldest St Mary Magdalene Church here dated to the early Norman period. Of this there is little left to see, barring possibly some central piers in the nave. The tower was begun in 1230 and completed by 1350. Most of the rest of the church was rebuilt from 1310 to around 1489 when the Chancel was completed.
There is a hole in the spire supposedly put there during the Civil War by a cannon shot. Surprisingly this detail escaped the attentions of Sir George Gilbert Scott who did his usual restoration job in the mid-19th Century.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller