ST. NICHOLAS' CHURCH
The Church was first built in the Saxon period and the oldest surviving stonework dates to around 900 AD. It seems that the Saxon church survived relatively unmolested throughout the medieval period, aside from the inevitable removal of “popery” during the Reformation.
However, by the 19th Century the church was in very poor condition. The north aisle had been demolished in 1699 and the spire had fallen down in the mid-1700s. In 1825 plans were made for the church to be demolished and rebuilt – insufficient funds were raised at the time so instead a programme of repair was undertaken.
In 1875 a new north aisle was built and the chancel was refurbished, in 1889 the north transept was added and in 1898 the exterior of the church was refaced and restored.Work continued in the 20th Century with the tower being restored around 1905 and the south aisle finally being brought back into use in 1929. The last major works were to the interior of the tower and were completed in 1950.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller