NORTH KYME CHURCH
Although it looks like nothing more than a small country church, the origins of St. Luke’s Church in North Kyme is worthy of relating…
On 23rd April 1872 five men gathered around a table of the Plough Inn. The men were Edward Jackson, Samuel Coulson, Mr Forman, Mr Watson and the Rev. Edward Garvey (priest of the church in South Kyme). A church had existed in North Kyme as recently as 1805, but by 1872 it was at least derelict and possibly even demolished.
That morning, the five men sat down and decided that North Kyme needed a church. The five men designed the church and started to plan just where it could be constructed.
Edward Jackson bought a parcel of land at the edge of the village to build the church, but a few weeks late Samuel Coulson bought a parcel of land in the centre of the village. The two agreed that the second bit of land was best and Jackson sold his piece of land to help raise funds for construction.
By the end of 1873 enough money had been raised - £700 – to build the new church. Work was due to start in 1874 when an edict arrived from the church commissioners demanding changes to the plans which would come close to doubling the amount of money required. More money raising efforts were undertaken but only a further £100 was raised.
It was not until 1876 that a contract was finally signed with a building – Mr Knight of the village of Martin – for a price of £1,160. The work was completed in March 1877 and then work began on furnishing the interior. On June 7th 1877 the Bishop of Lincoln consecrated the new church.
Ironically, the first person to be buried in the churchyard was Edward Jackson – one of the five who met in 1872. In 1977 a major refurbishment was undertaken and today the little church is a quiet corner of England overlooking fields and farms.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller