CHURCH NORTON CHURCH
The site here is thought to be that of the original Saxon Cathedral of St. Wilfrid built around 681 AD which was later moved to Chichester. Nearby is a curved earthwork, sometimes considered to be a medieval castle, but which has been given various dates from the Saxon period right up to the Armada.
The Church which remains today is a virtually unchanged 13th Century structure. The Church remained a minor one and was moved to a Victorian premises nearby in 1864. So this little building remained sealed up and forgotten thus preserving it from the perils of Victorian renovation. It is owned today by the Churches Conservation Trust.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller