Norton can lay claim to being the oldest constituent part of Letchworth Garden City Neolithic remains have been found here. It seems that St Nicholas Church dates to 1119 AD at that time it was in the remit of St. Albans Abbey. In 1539 the Abbey was dispossessed of its lands and Norton passed into manorial ownership.
The church remained one of the parish churches of the area until it was amalgamated with the modern church of St. George closer to the town centre now Norton Church remains as a chapel of ease rather than a main church.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller