ST. PETER'S CHURCH
St Peter’s is one of the three surviving churches in the centre of Nottingham with medieval structure intact. It began life around 1180 as a small Norman style church after a fire destroyed the older church which was built around 1100 (possibly largely of wood). The church is probably disconnected from the Castle area of the City, but is unclear whether St. Peter’s or St. Mary’s was the original City Church. The tower and spire were the last parts to be built around the year 1340. St. Mary’s did start out life under the ownership of Lenton Priory which points towards St. Peter’s being the parish church first.
Although of uncertain origin, it is fairly clear that some 19th Century renovation work took place on St. Peter’s Church and it stands today closest to the centre of the City, a short distance from the bustling Old Market Square – England’s largest market square.
The Parish of St. Peter’s was united with the Parish of St. James in 1933, although St. James’ Church itself was demolished not long afterwards.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller