dedication: Cathedral Church
of St. Barnabas
Became a Cathedral in 1850
The construction of Nottingham Cathedral was begun in 1841 and finished in 1844. It was one of the earliest new Catholic Churches built after the Catholic Relief Act. A majority of the money for the construction was supplied by Lord Shrewsbury, himself a Catholic.
He employed Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin as architect, this was whilst he was working with Barry on the Houses of Parliament in London. This was a particularly busy period for Pugin who also built St. Chad’s Cathedral in Birmingham, rebuilt Southwark Cathedral and began work on Northampton Cathedral (which his son completed) amongst many others.
Compared to Pugin’s later work Nottingham Cathedral is very subdued and the Cathedral is now squashed between modern buildings and presents a rather uninspiring front to the world. It is, however, a more satisfying construction when viewed closely in comparison with many of England’s other Catholic Cathedrals.
The church was consecrated in 1844 and was raised to Cathedral status in 1850.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller