NEWPORT PAGNELL CHURCH
William Rufus gave the lands at Newport to Fulk Paganel and he gave the small existing church to the Monks at Tickford Priory in 1100. Around 1350 the original church was destroyed and this new one built in its place. The tower, as is often the case, came later, around 1540 by which time the church was no longer in control of Tickford (which Wolsey had dissolved in 1524) and was in the protection of Christ Church, Oxford.
Much of the exterior work was replaced around 1827 and the roof timbers all fell victim to deathwatch beetle in 1934 and had to be rebuilt.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller