ALL SAINTS PAVEMENT
This is the site of one of the oldest churches in York dating to before the Norman Conquest. However, the present building is mostly 14th and 15th Century. The most eye-catching feature is the lantern tower which was constructed around 1400 and once held a light to help guide the faithful to prayer. A number of the internal fixtures and fittings date from the 17th century and some come from other churches around York which are no longer standing.
The church was almost cut in half in 1887 to allow the Market Square to be expanded and it now ends at what was once the transept crossing in the centre of the church.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller