ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH
Overshadowed by its close neighbour Pershore Abbey, the Church of St. Andrew is actually almost as ancient as the Abbey's buildings (although the Abbey itself is very ancient). Edward the Confessor first granted lands formely belonging to Pershore Abbey to his own foundation Westminster Abbey. St. Andrew's Church was constructed to service tenants of Westminster travelling in the region.
Some of the current Church, which is very obviously ancient, dates to 1170 and major alterations were made in the 14th, 15th and 19th Centuries. The Church continued in parochial service until the mid-1960s.
With some irony the Abbey now rents back the land on which St. Andrews' stands for the rent of "a pound of Pershore plums". It is now used as the Parish Centre.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller