ST. NICHOLAS' CHURCH
Pevensey Church, like the famous Castle nearby, is now stranded inland. It was once a coastal fortress and a coastal church hence the dedication to the patron saint of sailors. Pevensey was an important port in the medieval period and the size of the church reflects this importance.
Essentially it is a 13th Century structure, but it was very heavily rebuilt around 1890. The tower was reduced to one storey and then two new storeys were added, plus the spire was added to the top. Much of the nave was also changed. It would have completely altered the look of the church and today gives it a slightly more grandiose appearance than it might originally have had.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller