PLYMOUTH FIRST PARISH CHURCH
This is the base for the oldest congregation in the Americas. In 1606 the English founded a congregation in Scrooby which then moved to Plymouth Rock in 1620. The Church went through a number of different affiliations before ending up with the Unitarian Universality Church around 1834.
The first services of the congregation were held on the Mayflower, then from 1621 to 1648 at a fort on Burial Hill. In 1648 the first church was built on the site of this current building. Rebuilds then occurred in 1684, 1744 and 1831.
This last church was built in wood and in 1899 it was decided to rebuild in stone and the current church was constructed.
Photo - Roy Barton
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Roy Barton and Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller