ST. SAVIOUR'S CHURCH

Pimlico, London

St. Saviour's Church, Pimlico, London

St. Saviour’s Church in Pimlico was consecrated in July 1864. The land was donated by Sir Thomas Cubitt in his will and the funding for construction came from the Duke of Westminster. The architect was Thomas Cundy Junior whose father had designed much of the surrounding buildings in Pimlico.

In the 1860s the spire was the tallest in London. There was some damage to the church during World War II but all was repaired by the 1950s.

Although an unremarkable Victorian church, it has a number of famous names associated with it – Lord Laurence Olivier was a choirboy here (and his father was curate), Compton Mackenzie was married in the church and most famously Diana, Princess of Wales worked at a Kindergarten in the Church Hall before her marriage to Prince Charles – a memorial tree now stands in the Hall courtyard.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2013


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery