Pulloxhill is a very ancient village, standing high on the last ridges of the Chilterns and giving some spectacular views to the south and east. The church stands at the very end of the village overlooking the wide glacial valley which leads down towards Luton. The first church was built around 1219, probably at the behest of the d’Albini family who held the land here.
Of this original church almost nothing survives. By the early 1800s only the ruined tower and parts of the chancel stood, the nave and the other parts of the church were reduced to stubs of walls. Surprisingly some 17th Century monuments have survived inside the church.
In 1846 the remaining ruined walls were taken down and a new church was constructed with only small parts of the early church being retained. Some small bits of the chancel and the roof have survived but essentially this church is a Victorian construction. It is built of rather dull brown stone which gives it an rather dour appearance, a shame because it’s situation is magnificent and a more handsome church would make for a diverting visit combined with the wide vistas laid out below.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller