Radlett stands on Watling Street – the old Roman road from London to the North West. It is surprising therefore that there was little community and no church here until the 19th Century when the Railway arrived. Previously the few dwellings in Radlett were attached to Aldernham parish, 3 miles west.
The first church here was consecrated in 1864 and was less than half its present size. It was largely paid for by the Bagnall and Phillimore families and is, unusually, oriented north-south rather than east-west.
By the time the 20th Century arrived the church was too small for the rapidly growing town and it was enlarged to its current size by 1907. Although relatively modern, the church is stylistically traditional although the church hall – known as the Christ Church Vision Hall – is strikingly modern and was added as recently as 2005.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller