CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
For most of its existence, this has been the Anglican Church of Christ Church. It was originally built by Sir James Pennethorne and was consecrated in 1837. At that time it was a poor area, although the closeness of both Regents Park and Bloomsbury has meant over the time the area has become much more affluent.
Christina Rossetti lived in Albany Street (where the church is) for some years and worshipped here. Her brother, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, produced the stained glass window The Sermon on the Mount for the church. In 1950 the funeral service of George Orwell was held here.
In 1989 the Anglican Church moved out and the Antoichian Church moved in, raised the church to Cathedral and rededicated it to St. George. A new roof was constructed in 2000.
Today it stands apparently neglected amidst buildings that have seen better days, but it is still an active church.
Photos - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller