REMUH SYNAGOGUE, KAZIMIERZ, KRAKÓW
Although it is the smallest of Kazimierzs surviving Synagogues, the Remuh Synagogue is also the busiest. A subtle, unprepossessing building dating to 1558 was established to support a small community. Previously a make shift Synagogue was used from the first founding in 1533.
It is named for the famed Rabbi Moses Isserles Auerbach who is known as Remuh. His tomb in the adjacent cemetery still attracts Jewish pilgrims. The cemetery became the most important in Kazimierz and was the site of the burial of most of the great and good of Krakóws Jewish Community.
All this continued until the Nazis arrived and decimated that Community. The Synagogue and Cemetery were both smashed to pieces. Strangely it was the cemetery that was renovated first (between 1956 and 1960) and the Synagogue followed between 1958 and 1968.
The Cemetery has been restored as well as possible. The ruined gravestones which could not be re-erected have been set into the wall as a memorial to the lost of the Kazimierz Community.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller