The church at Renhold began life as a daughter church of Newnham Priory (which is now long gone). The first vicar is recorded as being appointed in 1229.
The earliest surviving parts of the church today are the nave and north aisle which date from the 14th Century. The west tower was added in the 15th Century and, as was often the case, everything was in a terrible condition by the mid-19th Century.
A report in the Northampton Mercury goes into some specific details about its dilapidations including describing the interior as ‘dirty and decayed’ and describing a bath which sat in the belfry which was used by parishioners during a cholera epidemic in 1849. Windows were blocked up and the only cushioned seat belonged to the Lay Rector.
Renovation work started in 1862 under a local architect, James Horsford, and it continued until the church was re-opened in October 1863.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller