The land which forms Ridge parish was granted to St. Albans Abbey in the late 1200s, however, in the Domesday Book there an area around here referred to as “the abbotts land at Senlai” (Shenley) implying that the land was already informally considered Abbey lands at that time.
This little church dates largely from the 14th Century with the tower and nave dating the 15th. It is famed for its wall paintings of which one survivor is complete and dates to the 15th Century. Major refurbishments to the interiors were carried out in the 1740s and again in 1810. More structural changes came about in 1881 at which time a second medieval wall painting was, sadly, destroyed.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller