OUR LADY OF THE ROCKS
Gospa od Skrpjela (or Our Lady of the Rocks) is a tiny church built on one of two islands in the Bay of Kotor. One of these islands is natural, the other was built according to legend by local fishermen who would leave a rock in the harbour after each successful trip to sea. Our Lady of the Rocks was then built on this artificial island as a last act of thanks.
The first church was built in 1452, but the current structure dates largely to 1632 with subsequent enlargements a century or so later.
The islet is hard to reach (and unfortunately the guided tour of the area didn't have enough time for a visit) but the Church contains a number of important works of art.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Roy Barton and Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller