ROXTON CHURCH

Bedfordshire

Roxton Church, Bedfordshire

A founding date for Roxton Church is uncertain, but the majority of what stands today is early 14th Century. The south chapel is recorded as being added in 1330 (although it is now not there) which implies the chancel, nave and south aisle date to before that date. The tower is 15th Century as are many west towers on English parish churches. Little then seems to have happened to Roxton Church for some four hundred years.

The Roxton Estate was owned by the Metcalfe family who were amongst the country’s foremost Noncomformists and they built a Congregational Chapel in 1808 for the growing Noncomformist population of the area. As a consequence of this the parish church was neglected and by 1847 it was described as being “in miserable condition”. At some point the attitude of the populace changed and in 1848 W.G. Habershon was brought in to repair the church. Work continued until 1890, and then in the 1920s much of the interior was restructured.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2013


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery