ST. MARTIN'S CHURCH
There was almost certainly a church here in the late Saxon period. At Domesday a priest held over 40 acres of land here. The church was rebuilt early in the 12th Century, probably at a similar time to the nearby Castle by Ernulf de Hesdin who gave all the land he owned here to the Benedictines from Le Bec in France.
This was an alien priory and as such was dissolved by Henry V and by 1422 the land was owned by the Duke of Bedford. The church appears to have passed to the parish at this time and the tower was added not long afterwards as part of a general extension to the structure.
All of this was restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott around 1870 and is one of the better looking rebuilds from this period; the interior being remarkably restrained for a Victorian structure.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller