The typical dark stone church of St. Swithun’s in Sandy dates to at least 1214 when it is mentioned in institution rolls. The font inside is thought to be Saxon so it may be that the church dates to that time.
However, there is no trace of anything older than the 15th Century which is when the west tower was added. The remainder of the church was very heavily rebuilt in the 19th Century and so the church is essentially Victorian today – and certainly looks it with its glum brown stone.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller